Priory of Contamine sur Arve

Priory of Contamine sur Arve image1Priory of Contamine sur Arve image2Priory of Contamine sur Arve image3
1 / 3

Description

The church of Sainte-Foy in Contamine-sur-Arve has been listed as a historic monument since 1909. Guided tours are available to find out more about its history. Contact the tourist office.
Sainte-Foy church in Contamine-sur-Arve, listed as a historic monument since 1909, was built around 1295. However, in 1589, half of it was destroyed and never rebuilt, as can be seen from the façade, which consists of a rough infill under a double arch separating two bays. This religious building was part of a Cluniac priory founded in Contamine in 1083 by Guy de Faucigny, Bishop of Geneva, which disappeared at the beginning of the 17th century. Until 1268, it was the burial place of the Lords of Faucigny, a family that played an important role in the history of Faucigny from the 11th to the 13th century. Architectural similarities have been noted with the castles in Wales and the castles of the States of Savoy in Switzerland, built by Jacques de Saint-Georges, an architect specialising in the construction of fortified castles. However, the name of the architect who worked on Contamine is not known, as Jacques de Saint-Georges did not return to Savoie after 1275, when he moved to England.

Pricing

Full price: 8 €. Free entry for children < 12 years.

Langues

French
Address
Impasse des Croses, 74130, Contamine-sur-Arve
Opening
From 30/04 to 21/09/2025, daily.